10. Clear Your Netflix Queue – Summer is the season of binge-watching and if spent correctly, can get you caught up on all of your favorite shows, and even a few of your guilty pleasures (looking at you “Sister Wives”). Before classes officially begin it’s important to make it through that last sprint of your “House of Cards” marathon. But be sure to save a few choice seasons for when you need to procrastinate during mid-terms and dead week.
9. Party Hop through the Frats During Welcome Week – Ah welcome week. The mailer your parents got advertises the club fairs and campus festivities, but the socially-educated Berkeley student knows better; it’s a period where all fraternity houses open their doors for a week of nonstop dancing and drinking games. Make sure you stop by and welcome Berkeley back the proper way.
8. Hike the Big C at Sunrise – No Berkeley list is incomplete without an obligatory Big C reference. If you can get up in time, nothing brings in the new school year like a sentimental gaze down onto the campus and SF skyline as the world wakes up. Also, sunrise equals easy life symbolism and Instagram photos.
7. Get Free Things at Caltopia – Fact: Everything is better when it’s free. That’s why Caltopia is not only the quintessential Cal tradition but is also essential shopping for last-minute school items. Need a new coffee mug, writing pens, and Cal keychain? Bingo. Also, it’s a rare time when you can trick yourself into thinking you’ll actually use that membership to the RSF you just signed up for.
6. Visit San Francisco – San Francisco is one of the coolest, most beautiful and culturally-diverse cities on the planet. But let’s face it, once the semester starts we forget it exists. That’s why the weekend before your first class is the perfect time to BART over and spend the day shopping at the Westfield, eating clam chowder, and visiting Alcatraz.
5. Reconnect with Friends – There is nothing better about college than the friends you make. And chances are, you’ve spent a good part of your summer missing most of them. The good news is that the week before school starts is basically one giant reunion party that includes everything from late night karaoke to early morning brunch. The hardest part is scheduling in everyone.
4. Eat at the Asian Ghetto – Berkeley is known to be a particularly health-conscious community, but luckily the Asian Ghetto is here to balance the scales. Whether you prefer the Garlic Beef at Thai Basil or the infant-sized Calzones at Gypsy’s, the Asian Ghetto has something for every taste bud. If you plan well enough, the last days of summer can include the “AG Buffet,” which reacquaints us with all of our favorite Berkeley cuisine.
3. Get Boba – Boba is a Berkeley treat so big it deserves its own category. With a plethora of milk tea places around campus, we might not know who originated the boba craze at Berkeley, but we certainly know who enjoys it: everyone. Getting Boba is the perfect reason to hang out and do absolutely nothing with those friends that know you best. Nutritional Warning: Ingesting large quantities of boba may induce 100% contentment and the strong desire that summer break could last forever.
2. Spend an Afternoon on Memorial Glade – Sunshine in Berkeley is as consistent as the grade curve in your poly-sci class. It’s most likely to appear in August and September, and memorial glade is the best place to experience it. Sunbathe and chill while you can. Once the semester gets rolling memorial glade inevitably just becomes the giant obstacle between you getting to your class in Evans on time.
1. Download Sobrr – Nothing announces your return to Berkeley like social media, and there’s a brand new app to help you do it. Sobrr is a temporary social network that allows you to live your life in the moment. It’s the perfect way to see what friends are back living it up in the Berk before you have to text and ask. Sobrr also introduces you to brand new friends so you can unite in in your fight against the end of summer. So whether you’re posting that Big C sunrise pic, looking for someone to grab boba with, or are documenting your welcome week parties, Sobrr is the perfect back to school companion. Sobrr: Your life, and summer, in the moment.
_The Sobrr Team